The PMF authority said on Sunday morning that a force from its 63rd Brigade beat back an ISIS assault on a commando-battalion position in the Marsa Ali mountain sector of Tuz Khurmatu, east of Salah al-Din, and drove the attackers into rugged ground without their reaching their objective. Faction channels had been running the incident since late the previous night: Unit 10,000 (KH — affiliated) first reported an explosion and gunfire on the approaches to the mountains, then it, Sabereen News (KH — affiliated) and Al-Ghadeer TV (Badr Organization — official) carried an identical operational line about an RPG launcher and a holding force firing back. Within about twenty minutes the same networks, joined by Al-Ahad TV (AAH — official), Watan TV (Badr Organization — affiliated) and iNEWS (KSS — affiliated), had recast an unidentified attacker as "terrorist ISIS gangs". Al-Ghadeer TV carried a one-line version of the PMF statement and Al-Nujaba TV (Nujaba — official) the full text; no group claimed the attack, and every account traces back to the PMF's own words.
Outside the faction channels, two press reports within about twenty-five minutes said the Popular Mobilization Forces had repelled the Islamic State attack and opened a follow-on operation, but they diverged on the basics: Shafaq News placed it east of Salah al-Din with a pursuit of the attackers, Kurdistan24 placed it in Khurmatu with a clearing sweep. Neither named the formation, a casualty figure or the size of the force — the 63rd Brigade appears only in the PMF's own account. No Iraqi security authority beyond the PMF has given an independent account of the engagement.
In the militia space, Al-Ahad TV spent the late evening of 22 August building a case against PMF Authority chairman Falih al-Fayyad on its own airtime. Five segments in about forty minutes carried MPs Safaa al-Jabri and Rahim al-Aboudi accusing him of violating law, custom and military norms over his refusal to appear before parliament and his handling of a reported shelling of the Hashd, with al-Jabri saying Fayyad had "lost the confrontation" and that parliament would escalate, possibly as it did in removing the Investment Authority chief. Four further items ran later still, carrying MP Salem al-Abbasawi saying Fayyad's media justification was insufficient and that he could be referred to the courts rather than merely dismissed, and that wounded members have gone without entitlements since 2014. Neither Fayyad nor the PMF has answered, and Al-Janoub TV (Harakat al-Jihad wal-Bina — official), covering the PMF law in the same hours, named no obstructor at all.
The same channel widened the charge to the strike itself. In three items over 41 minutes it carried analyst Muhammad al-Zeidawi saying Saudi Arabia had committed the aggression against PMF personnel and that Fayyad, as the force's first responsible official, must disclose what happened, while Sadiqoun MP Salem al-Absaoui said continued absence from parliament would leave him "accused". Early on Sunday researcher Wathiq al-Jabri told the channel that Fayyad bears full responsibility for not ordering the evacuation of headquarters that were struck, under an on-screen line that Fayyad "hides behind political targeting". Al-Absaoui also said most members of the parliamentary Security Committee skipped the session convened for Fayyad's appearance and that some were barred by their own blocs, naming none. No other channel carried any of it, and no faction has defended Fayyad.
Personnel whose PMF contracts were terminated tried to reach Baghdad on Sunday morning and were stopped short of it. Al-Nujaba TV reported the Hilla–Baghdad road cut at the Latifiyah checkpoint in front of the convoy, and Sabereen News posted footage of traffic halted completely at a city entrance, protesters barred from the capital and a heavy security deployment at the protest site. The demonstrators want their contracts confirmed and food-security measures applied. Neither channel said which body ordered the closures, and no faction backed or disavowed the dismissed contract-holders.
On the hiring file, Al-Janoub TV carried a civil examiner alleging that Interior Minister Abdul Amir al-Shammari appointed staff on contract despite a legal bar on such appointments; twenty-eight minutes later Al-Ittijah TV (KH — official) went live from Baghdad, where contract employees demanding permanent status warned they would escalate if nobody met them. The same channel had earlier aired a speaker identified only as Mehdi saying a year has passed without a reply to a letter sent to the prime minister, and that "we do not want names appointed to the Interior Ministry covertly". The Interior Ministry has said nothing on either strand. Separately, Al-Ittijah TV and Al-Ghadeer TV reproduced the Integrity Commission's call to finish the stalled Al-Shaala and Al-Hurriya hospital projects in wording identical but for the body's full title, neither adding a word of its own.
THINGS TO WATCHA parliamentary summons or removal motion naming Fayyadmedium likelihoodhigh impactMPs on Al-Ahad TV said parliament would take escalatory measures against the PMF chairman, possibly repeating the removal of the Investment Authority chief.
Fayyad or the PMF Authority answers the AAH-channel campaignmedium likelihoodmedium impactFour networks' worth of accusations ran without any response from Fayyad or the PMF, whose channels stayed silent through the window.
An independent casualty or scale account of the Tuz Khurmatu engagementmedium likelihoodmedium impactEvery account of the 63rd Brigade clash traces back to the PMF's own statement, with no casualty figure or outside witness.
An authority named for the Latifiyah and Baghdad-entrance closuresmedium likelihoodmedium impactNujaba and KH channels reported the road cuts and the security deployment without saying who ordered them, and no faction has taken a position on the dismissed contract-holders.
Interior Ministry response on the contract-appointment allegationlow likelihoodmedium impactAl-Janoub TV aired a claim that the interior minister made appointments barred by law and Al-Ittijah TV relayed protesters' escalation warning, with no ministry word on either.