WIRE
RUDAWSaudi Arabia renews invitation for Iraqi PM Zaidi to visit Riyadh: Spox.38MKURDISTAN24Iraqi MPs Seek Emergency Parliament Session in Erbil After Drone Attack1HRUDAWUS, UK and EU condemn drone attack on PM Barzani’s office2HKURDISTAN24Iraqi PM Orders Probe into Drone Attack on PM Barzani’s Office2HKURDISTAN24Sadr Criticizes Iranian Drone Attacks on Kurdistan Region2HKURDISTAN24Kurdistan Region’s Public Prosecution Condemns Iranian Drone Attack on Pirmam2HKURDISTAN24Iraqi FM Seeks Official Iranian Explanation Over Attack on PM Barzani’s Office2HRUDAWIraqi FM demands official clarification from Iran over attack on Kurdish Premier's office3HKURDISTAN24Tom Barrack Condemns Drone Attack on KRG Prime Minister’s Office5H964 MEDIADrone attack on PM Barzani office draws condemnation5HKURDISTAN24Iraqi Intelligence Warns of Plot to Assassinate Supreme Court Chief Faiq Zidan5HKURDISTAN24EU Condemns Drone Attacks on PM Barzani’s Office and Kurdistan Region’s Security Chief’s Residence6HIRAQI NEWSIraq’s oil pipeline to Syria’s Baniyas to take four years to complete6HIRAQI NEWSIraqi finance minister meets Princess Astrid of Liechtenstein7HKURDISTAN24KRG Peshmerga Ministry Condemns Iranian Drone Attack on PM Barzani’s Office7HTHE NEW REGIONIraqi forces arrest Harakat al-Nujaba intelligence chief: Source8H
Iraq Monitorعين على العراقPrimary-source intelligence
THE BRIEFING · A PERMANENT EDITION

Monday, 17 August 2026

EVENING EDITION

The Daily Digest

Iraq's foreign ministry demanded an official explanation from Iran this evening over the predawn drone strikes on the Kurdistan Regional Government prime minister's office and the region's security chief's residence, seeking the explanation from Tehran directly, with no Iranian reply reported in either account. Prime Minister Mohammed Shia al-Sudani ordered a probe into the attack, which the KRG premier himself said was carried out by Iranian drones against his office. US envoy Tom Barrack condemned the strike and the European Union condemned the attacks on both the office and the security chief's residence. The ministry's demand is the first Iraqi state act naming Iran over the strikes.

KDP lawmakers called the strikes a violation of Kurdistan's sovereignty, Kurdish leaders pressed Baghdad to act, and Iraqi and Kurdish parties joined the condemnation, while former prime minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi said the attack on Kurdistan threatens Iraq's sovereignty and the Kurdistan diaspora confederation, describing the predawn strikes on Pirmam as "terrifying", demanded serious international action. The attack came a day after al-Sudani urged expedited delivery of advanced air-defense systems; a fresh account of that meeting says he discussed bolstering air defense in light of the recent strikes, without naming a supplier or a date.

On the security file, the Popular Mobilization Commission confirmed this afternoon that Abbas al-Yaqoubi, its Baghdad Belt intelligence official, had been handed to the Commission's own General Security Directorate under a judicial order, while press reporting cited a source calling the detainee Harakat al-Nujaba's intelligence chief — as today's militia digest sets out, the handover rests on two independent lines and the man's faction on one channel. A Kataib Hezbollah-linked bloc the same morning called the disarmament law "madness" that will not pass, and armed groups refused to hand over weapons before a US withdrawal, leaving the bill stalled. Iraqi intelligence separately warned of a plot to assassinate Supreme Court chief Faiq Zidan, whose judiciary the Commission says will decide al-Yaqoubi's case. The state is moving faction officials into court while the law meant to disarm their factions is pronounced dead.

On the economy, sources said the planned crude pipeline from Iraq to Syria's Baniyas terminal is still years away, with completion put at four years — an export route that cannot answer the Hormuz closure the finance minister has conceded caused direct effects. For the nearer term Baghdad adopted financial measures to address the Hormuz crisis and turned to non-oil revenue as the crisis deepened, while Iran's central bank governor arrived in the capital seeking to recover $11 billion and expand $12 billion in trade on the same day the foreign ministry demanded Tehran's explanation for Erbil.

Thousands of graduates protested in Baghdad demanding public-sector employment, a day after graduates clashed with security forces outside the health ministry. In the corruption file, MPs responding to the $6 million seized in the case involving the deputy electricity minister called for enforcement applied equally rather than to selected names, days after authorities arrested former lawmaker Kazem Sayadi in an extortion case.

THINGS TO WATCH
Sudani's ordered probe into the Erbil drone strikes states an attributionmedium likelihoodhigh impactThe prime minister ordered an investigation into strikes the KRG premier attributes to Iranian drones, so a published finding or a refusal to name a source is checkable.
Iraq names a supplier or a delivery date for the air-defense systems Sudani ordered expeditedmedium likelihoodhigh impactSudani pressed for faster delivery of advanced air defense the evening before the strikes and discussed bolstering it in light of them, without any supplier or date in either account.
The disarmament bill is put to a parliamentary vote or formally withdrawn from the agendamedium likelihoodhigh impactA Kataib Hezbollah-linked bloc says the law will not pass while armed groups refuse to hand over weapons before a US withdrawal, so the bill's place on the chamber's agenda will show which side is right.
Protective measures or an arrest announced over the plot against Supreme Court chief Faiq Zidanmedium likelihoodhigh impactIraqi intelligence has warned publicly of an assassination plot against Zidan, and either a protective order or a detention in the plot would be announced.
Baghdad states a decision on Iran's $11 billion recovery requestmedium likelihoodmedium impactIran's central bank governor came to Baghdad seeking release of $11 billion and wider trade, and an Iraqi release, refusal or deferral would be published by either central bank.

The Militia Digest

The Popular Mobilization Commission's media director, Muhannad al-Aqabi, announced this afternoon that Abbas al-Yaqoubi, the Baghdad Belt intelligence official, had been handed to the Commission's own General Security Directorate to follow his legal procedures with the judiciary, adding that "anything with the judiciary is not lost". Channels tied to Nujaba, Badr, KSS and Ashab al-Kahf carried the line within roughly an hour, and Al-Ghadeer TV (Badr Organization — official) separately reported the government spokesman saying the arrest was made under a judicial order. Only Shabab al-Islam (Ashab al-Kahf — owned, non-official) said the man was Nujaba's reconnaissance official — an affiliation Nujaba's own channel did not carry, though press reporting cited a source describing the detainee as Harakat al-Nujaba's intelligence chief. Two independent lines support the handover; the man's faction rests on one channel.

Al-Nujaba TV (Nujaba — official) spent three posts in eight minutes disputing who may arrest a Popular Mobilization figure at all, attributing to "observers" the position that any lawful arrest must run exclusively through the Commission's Security and Discipline Directorate and calling an arrest by another security agency a "very negative indicator" that those concerned must correct. The same channel reported the al-Sada al-Mousawiya tribe in Dhi Qar condemning the raid on al-Yaqoubi's home and his arrest without the local government's knowledge. The channel voiced the objection through observers and a tribe, not as a Nujaba statement, and named neither the arresting body nor the detainee's affiliation in those posts.

Two KH-affiliated channels, Sabereen News and Unit 10,000, published within six minutes of each other what they present as the first release of a handwritten note attributed to Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis, its two red lines refusing anyone permission to store missiles in Iraq and refusing Israel permission to strike Iraq. The captions frame it as a rebuke to an unnamed Iraqi official's televised remarks on strategic weapons, with the taunt "Can you not commit a greater folly than this?" The handwriting, the authorship and the date cannot be established from what was published, the "first time" wording is the channels' own, and no living KH leader has spoken on the file.

In the militia space, Unit 10,000 spent the afternoon on turnout. It posted the Quranic verse permitting the wronged to fight, addressed to Iraqis, Popular Mobilization members and the resistance's social base, and told them their turnout would prove their adherence to their leaders and to "the sacred weapon", while Al-Nujaba TV and Sabereen News reported Dhi Qar tribesmen converging on a gathering point in al-Fadhliya with crowd video. Separately it called on the people of Nasiriyah to rise against "the American enemy and its agents", an appeal no other tracked channel carried. None of these posts named a site, a unit, an operation or a date, and there is no claim of responsibility for any action.

In the north, the drone strikes on the Kurdistan Regional Government prime minister's office and the region's security chief's residence — which Kurdish counterterrorism attributes to Iran — drew an order from the Iraqi prime minister to form an investigative committee, and the foreign ministry demanded an official clarification from Tehran. Four militia-linked outlets across four factions relayed the committee order within four minutes of each other, and they diverged on who issued it: Al-Ahad TV (AAH — official) said "the commander-in-chief", while iNEWS (KSS — affiliated), Watan TV (Badr — affiliated) and Sabereen News named al-Zaydi. Sabereen News alone tied the order to the U.S. Embassy statement and referred to Masrour Barzani by the epithet al-Qachqachi. No militia channel has claimed the attack; condemnations came from the Peshmerga ministry, the EU, the UK, the Kurdistan judiciary and Tom Barrack.

Falih al-Khazali (KSS — Muntasirun bloc), the bloc's head, called on political forces to back arming the Iraqi army with air-defence systems covering all Iraqi airspace, including the Kurdistan Region — carried twice by iNEWS and by no other tracked channel, and naming no source of the aerial threat. Al-Ahad TV meanwhile aired political analyst Abbas Ghadeer twice demanding a serious investigation and the summoning of security commanders over an alleged failure to act on the prime minister's warning to evacuate Popular Mobilization positions, naming Faleh al-Fayyad as having received the notification and not passing it on. Neither al-Fayyad nor the Commission has responded to the accusation.

On the weapons file, channels tied to Badr, AAH and KSS all carried the government's line within the same hour that confining weapons to the state is a sovereign Iraqi matter with no external dictates, and that those refusing will be dealt with under the law; iNEWS added two elements the government did not say — that the initiative is "a national Shiite" one, and, quoting al-Fatlawi, that a regional desire exists to make it fail. Al-Ittijah TV (KH — official) ran the grievance instead, broadcasting a report on Ankara expanding its bases in northern Iraq at the expense of sovereignty and, within forty minutes, a Diwaniyah tribal warning against harming the resistance and the Hashd or submitting to American pressure. Separately, a Nujaba-affiliated channel relayed Security Media Cell chief Saad Maan naming the Peace Brigades, AAH and Kataib al-Imam Ali as continuing to hand over their weapons, with no quantity, place or timeframe. None of the named factions has confirmed or denied the handover characterisation, and no channel announced a measure of its own.

THINGS TO WATCH
Nujaba names al-Yaqoubi's post in its own voicemedium likelihoodmedium impactOnly Shabab al-Islam called the detainee Nujaba's reconnaissance official, while Al-Nujaba TV objected to the arrest procedure without stating his role.
Judiciary or Commission publishes a charge against al-Yaqoubimedium likelihoodhigh impactThe Commission's media director said the case goes to the judiciary and the government spokesman cited a judicial order, so a charge or referral is the next checkable step.
A named KH official speaks on the al-Muhandis note or the strategic-weapons remarksmedium likelihoodhigh impactThe purported handwritten note was pushed by two affiliated channels with no living KH leadership voice attached and no official named as its target.
Iran replies to the Iraqi foreign ministry's demand for clarificationmedium likelihoodhigh impactThe foreign ministry has formally sought an official Iranian explanation for the drone attack on Masrour Barzani's office, which either arrives or is refused.
Another faction repeats "including the Kurdistan Region" on air defencelow likelihoodmedium impactAl-Khazali's air-defence appeal covering Kurdish airspace has been carried by iNEWS alone and by no other tracked channel.
EVERY CLAIM SOURCE-LINKED · EVERY SIGNAL → THE ARCHIVEALL EDITIONS →
The Briefing — Monday, 17 August 2026, evening edition · Iraq Monitor